Tuesday, March 15, 2011

NIPPON, STAND UP

Monday March 14th 2011

This morning I woke up in Tokyo, the views from the 9th floor were even more amazing today..we were still all here, safe and sound, and the day felt beautiful, the sun was out the breeze was warm, spring was coming, sakura sakura SAKURA!!

Buildings standing tall some with scars from the earthquakes, the streets are quiet, doesn't feel like Tokyo..many are going somewhere with there travel luggage, elevators out, train lines delayed, cancelled, convenient stores were empty, this was almost a shock in itself, NEVER are the shelves bare, 'Family Mart, AM/PM, 7/11, Sunkus', this is the nations quick source to an abundance of food and today, yesterday and most likely the days after, the shelves are empty. Shinjuku, a station of 1 million a day felt eerie with only a few passing through..sirens have become the background sound for the past few days..We are all so exhausted, so on edge for every shake incase its the 'big one', getting to the point wherever you go, you think in the back of your mind 'where would I run too?, where would I hide?...IF..'

We all have our different feelings on the situation, some believe the worst is over and trust no more harm is on the way, some want to visit Sendai as soon as possible to help in any way, others feel they need to escape on the first flight and for many its family, its friends, its the only life they know so they will remain strong and stand by there home.
At the end of the day we all still feel the ground shake, the room sway and all experienced an historic event, a magnitude 9.0, the earthquake Japan was long overdue for, this is a feeling people will never forget, where you were when it happened, what you were doing, what you were holding, every though process that went through your mind on the emergency.

I pray for those affected, for those still searching, for those who have lost and most of all I pray thats it'd over, let people sleep easy tonight, let us re build. Im so thankful I am standing, unharmed, thankful my friends and there families are safe.

After this experience you can't help but think 'what if', think 'thankful it wasn't me in the wrong place and the wrong time', shit got heavy, I have never been so terrified and felt so helpless in my life. Every other problem that used to phase you seems so insignificant now, and more than anything I appreciate those around me just that extra amount more, because at times like this we only had each other.

My family and friends are truly amazing, really so AMAZING!! I'm blessed to have such beautiful people in my life, I love you all for everything you have done, even though alone through all this I never felt it. Those demanding 5 minute updates on me from oceans away, those willing to do anything they could to ease the situation, those by my side in the night, those on speed dial translating every warning given on the speakers outside and of course my incredible family that got me on the first flight out. I cannot thank you enough, your words, your comfort, you actions, your advices, no words can express this gratitude.

Please let our minds rest..
Please let there be comfort that the worst has come and gone..
Please give strength to those who have lost or still search..
Be safe..
Japan STAND UP

1 comment: